From 1Thessalonians, Paul:
- Prays for them continually (1:2-3; 3:10)
- Is like a mother (2:6b-9) (cf. his maternal role with the Corinthians as well in 1Cor. 3:1-2 with the milk motif)
- Is like a father (2:11-12) (cf. his paternal role with the Corinthians as well in 1Cor. 4:15)
- Longs for them (2:17-20; 3:5)
- Encourage and "really live[s]" when he finds out they are strong in faith (3:6-10; 2Thes. 1:3)
Sum: Paul cares for the Christians in the churches he has found so much that he constantly prays for them as a demonstration of his concern.
- Paul often follows-up with some of the first churches he founded. (Acts 14:21-22; 15:36ff; 18:23)
- Paul sends Timothy to follow-up on the church in Corinth (1Cor. 4:17) as well as Titus (2Cor. 7:5-7 (rel: 2Cor. 2:12-13)).
- Corinth was a good church because she responds to Paul’s admonitions (2Cor. 7:5-7)
Bonus: After a description of the horrific realities Paul faced for being faithful to the Gospel in 2Corinthians 11:23ff., he tops it off with: "Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches." (2Cor. 11:28)!!