If you were forced to leave your current field of work, into which field would you venture?
Overall I enjoy my job immensely. But if I had to do it all over and find a different field of work, here are three that come to mind:
- Physician – No doubt the life of the 21st century physician is difficult and places a tremendous strain on the marriage, family, and life, but physicians are able to meet people’s needs in a way that few others can. I know we were so thankful for the good medical care we received during Micah and Elia’s birth. A good physician and nurse makes all the difference in the world.
- Chemist – Although I’ve only taken one or two chemistry courses, I enjoyed the balanced mixture of math and science found in chemistry. In addition, the opportunity to experiment and explore would be fulfilling.
- Flower Delivery Man – Most people are fairly happy and thankful to receive flowers; why not be that harbinger of joy?
Two fields I would deliberately eschew:
- Business – I’m thankful that so many of my friends enjoy business because we need good people like them in that field. I simply cannot see myself in that setting, however.
- IT – Although I enjoy technology, I enjoy it as a hobby and not as a profession. IMHO, everything changes when it becomes your livelihood.